Claiming Your Tax Deed Surplus Funds in Florida

If you are reading this article, you may have recently lost a property at a Tax Deed Sale. You may even be receiving a flood of solicitations telling you that there is or could be money owed to you as a result of a “surplus” or “overbid”.

In Florida, if a property is purchased at a Tax Deed Sale for an amount in excess of the amount owed to the Tax Certificate Holder, the surplus, after payment of any other government liens of record, must be paid over and disbursed by the clerk to, among others, the following person(s):

  1. Any legal title holder of record;
  2. Any mortgagee of record;
  3. Any vendee of recorded contract; or
  4. Any person whom the property was assessed on the tax roll for the year in which the property was last assessed.

For some claimants, there is a 120-day timeframe during which you must file your claim for surplus. If you recently lost a property at a Tax Deed Sale, it is imperative that you act quickly.

Call our office for a complimentary assessment of your overbid claim.

4 Ways An Attorney Can Help You Avoid Foreclosure

When You Should Hire a Foreclosure Attorney

If you are struggling to keep up with your mortgage payment, you are not alone. Hundreds of thousands of people suffer through foreclosures each year when they encounter unexpected financial hardships. Fortunately, there are some actions you can take in order to maximize your rights and help keep you in control of your property.

The first thing you need to do is speak to a foreclosure attorney. The foreclosure process is known to be a lengthy and frustrating experience for people attempting to go through it alone. Not only can an experienced foreclosure attorney help you get the resources and support you need, but they will also act out of your best interest as the go-between for you and your mortgage company. And in the best of situations, when given enough time, your foreclosure attorney can even work out a deal to help you avoid foreclosure. Here’s what they can do:

Help Modify Your Loan. A foreclosure attorney can help you change the original terms of your loan in order to lower your monthly payment. This can sometimes involve lowering your interest rate or extending your term.

Ensure Lenders Follow Laws. Lenders can sometimes be difficult to work with when you are trying to avoid foreclosure. With a foreclosure attorney on your side, he or she can ensure that your lenders promptly process the loan modification application and follow the laws or processes that they are required to do.

Represent You in Court. If you decide to challenge your lender’s foreclosure action, you will certainly want to have a knowledgeable attorney on your side to represent you. Not only will an attorney help you throughout the process but he or she will also work with you to develop effective strategies that can be useful and beneficial to your case.

It is important that you speak with an experienced and knowledgeable foreclosure attorney to explore your options as soon as possible. At The Metka Law Firm, we have the extensive experience needed to help you resolve your foreclosure situation. Our primary focus is to help lessen or alleviate loss, whether it is by negotiating a mortgage modification or a mortgage release. Call us or schedule your free consultation today to learn how we can help you.